Free the Holy Land Sea: Support Palestinian fishermen in Gaza
Gaza's Ark, along with our Freedom Flotilla Coalition partners representing civil society solidarity organizations and individuals in many countries of the world, supports the call from thePalestinian fishermen in Gaza, including the General Union of Fishermen and other groups, seeking international recognition and guarantees that:
1. Palestinian vessels from Gaza have the right to safely access their coastal waters in an area up to and including 20 nautical miles from the coast of Gaza, for fishing and other peaceful purposes, as specified in the Jericho accords (part of the Oslo Agreement).
2. Full access to their coastal waters is vital to the ability of the Palestinian fishing fleet to earn a dignified living and help provide food for the population of Gaza, which is a significant part of the Palestinian economy. The ability of Palestinians to sustain their own economy is a necessary step for any further progress towards peace.
Without full freedom of movement, including the freedom to fish, there can be no lasting peace. We call on our own and world governments, as well as other international institutions, to express their support for this call from Palestinian fishers in Gaza and to continue to press for a complete and lasting end to the blockade of Gaza.
PLEASE HELP US SPREAD THE WORD ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Palestinian fishermen ask for our solidarity to help them stop the siege and "Free the Holy Land Sea". From the 17th to the 19th of December, they will pitch a tent in Gaza harbour, as a mark of protest, showing legal documentation, pictures and information about Israeli attacks against Palestinian fishermen.
LET'S SPREAD THE NEWS
Those willing to support the Palestinian fishermen's action on media can do it from their own computer, by co-operating in the "twitter storm" that will take place on Wednesday, the 18th of December at 4:00 p.m. Gaza time (UTC+2h, that is 3:00 p.m. Central European Time, 9 am in Eastern North America, 6 am in Pacific North America, 1 am Thursday in Sydney, Australia): through co-ordinated use of social media, we'll try to draw the world's attention to the Palestinian fishermen's action, and amplify their protest.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
From 3:00 p.m. (for Europe) on Wednesday, 18th of December and in the next hours, post on Twitter as many messages as possible with a common #hashtag that will be indicated a few hours in advance on http://endtheblockade.tumblr.com/
Pictures, links, samples of tweet and information concerning the fishermen's protest will be made available at the same address. You can also follow us also on at: http://twitter.com/arcadigaza and http://twitter.com/gazaark
THOSE WHO ARE UNABLE TO PARTICIPATE AT THAT TIME
can book an automatic Tweet forwarding at the appointed moment through‘Thunderclap‘:
https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/7535-free-the-holy-land-sea or by using a service like : https://bufferapp.com/ (http://goo.gl/625q1s) or Tweetdeck, etc.
- Please do not use the planned hashtag before the agreed day and time.
- Neither re-tweets nor favourites increase trending: should you see a tweet that you like, better to copy and re-post it (RT:)
- Be creative, re-combine as you prefer information and pictures that you find in the site endtheblockade.tumblr.com
always attaching the reference hashtag.
- Try to post at least 2 or 3 different messages in the first hour, from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. CET, to enhance the trend effect.
- Involve friends or contacts you follow, by tweeting to @NameAccount or through DM.
OTHER WAYS TO PARTICIPATE BESIDES TWITTER
can also contribute to the campaign from now through facebook, blog or other social media by
- posting a link to the site http://endtheblockade.tumblr.com/
where the Palestinian fishermen's announcements can be found,
beside other news about the protest and the infos given here.
- posting a link and inviting friends to the facebook event
- sharing the page of solidarity with palestinian fishermen on facebook
- forwarding this message by email to other people that may be interested
Thank you for your co-operation!
Gaza's Ark Steering Committee & Freedom Flotilla Coalition
Tiny URL for this post:
This post is also available in: Greek