Gaza: The status quo is not an option anymore
Organizations undersign a call to the EU.
Source: Amnesty International-EU
To read full statement download: Gaza_Statement_EN
The undersigning organisations call on the EU to:
1. Base its bilateral relations with Israel on respect for international law and ensure that its Guidelines on the promotion of compliance with international humanitarian law are implemented with respect to Israel and all relevant parties
2. Urge Israel to:
2.1 Immediately, unconditionally and completely lift its comprehensive closure of the Gaza Strip, including:
– lifting the blanket and disproportionate restrictions on the movement of people, including between Gaza and the West Bank;
– facilitating the marketing or transit of goods from Gaza to the West Bank and Israel;
– facilitating the entry of construction and raw materials, including those for the private sector, by expanding operations of the border crossings;
– ensuring access to Gaza’s agricultural land, including in areas near the borders and fishing grounds, and the protection of civilians in these areas;
– facilitating the timely exit of patients in need of medical treatment outside of Gaza;
2.2 Ensure accountability for violations of international humanitarian law and international human rights law by its forces in Gaza, by conducting investigations that meet international standards into alleged violations, including all cases when civilians are killed, and prosecuting those responsible.
2.3 Ensure that Palestinian victims of Israeli violations of international law have adequate access to Israeli courts and effective remedy.
3. Urge Egypt to facilitate the travel of Gaza's residents to and from Gaza through Rafah crossing and to ensure the unimpeded passage of humanitarian relief consignments.
4. Urge the Palestinian Authority to ensure that Palestinian non-state actors comply with the rules of international law and enhance cooperation with all relevant parties to ensure that the Gaza Strip receives a steady supply of industrial fuel and essential medicines.
Signed by the following international and European human rights and development organisations:
- ACSUR Las Segovias
- ARCI associazione di promozione sociale
- Amnesty International- European Institutions Office
- Broedelijk Delen
- CCFD- Terre Solidaire
- Dignity-Danish Institute Against Torture
- Euro Mediterranean Human Rights Network (EMHRN)
- Federacion DDH
- Greek Committee for International Democratic Solidarity (EEDDA)
- Ligue des droits de l’Homme
Tiny URL for this post:
This post is also available in: Italian